A unique space, a place where the abundance of beautiful nature, legends, and historical artifacts meet, which is inspiring all the lovers of mythical past and wild beauty.
Pastric village is located in Gornja Kolubara, on the edge of the canyon Ribnica. Right there, at the foot of a long time ago inactive volcano on Maljen, a several million years old garden is located. Once it was the stone age, and today it is the age of stone. That’s what its owner Predrag Petrovic, Peca is stating. The stone is the foundation of the house, the first drawings and records were made on stones, the first weapon was made of stone…however he chose to make a unique Museum of Stone.
It is said that every peasant from Kolubara could be a representative of the people. Peca is a special outgrowth of the area. First of all, he is a biologist, the winner of two October Awards of the City of Belgrade. His work is to protect the canyon of Ribnica, and to transforming this extraordinary area into a Nature Park.
Studying the bats, Peca spent four months in the Ribnica Cave. Our ancestors knew that bats were a useful animal, and they did not disturb them, and even when they used that little flying animal for magic it was to make a loved one go blind from great love. After biology, Petrovic also tried his luck at ecology, which was also awarded the prestigious Slow Food Award.
For the Misic Village project, he received the prestigious Gastronomic Oscar Award in the Portuguese city of Porto. Geology is the latest challenge because, as he states, everything rests on rock. The outlines of the future museum are visible, the building has been set up and the first exhibits are already in window cases, and larger examples will remain under the clear sky. Peca also has significant assistance from the Geozavod, the Faculty of Mining and Geology and the Ministry, but each individual stone was pushed by himself to a hill called the Museum.
In addition to its great geological value, the exhibits also attract the attention of visitors. Here you can see one of the famous rocks that, according to tradition, Kraljevic Marko scattered around Povlen as well as jadarite, a mineral discovered in this area in 2004.
Between 1000 exhibits in 300 square meters of the hall, a special place is taken by the lithographic stone from Struganik, which was once an important export product of Serbia. High-quality stone existed only near Munich, Germany, and was used for printing lithographs.
The Stone Museum also has a courtyard setting. It is about huge stones that Peca has brought from various places. They are dedicated to Serbian important people – Ljuba Popovic, Matija Beckovic, Desanka Maksimovic, Njegos, Nikola Tesla, Milovan Danojlic and Petar Pajic.
Special texts were written by Matija Beckovic, to whom the first great stone was dedicated, at the initiative of the writer Radovan Beli Markovic. The list of the following great stones is longer, however at the top are Patriarch Pavle and Duke Zivojin Misic, who was born in not far away Struganik.
The owner thinks his business is not Sisyphean, because the stones stand firmly on top and attract more and more interest. Besides the museum, a tea house has been made where hot drinks from local medicinal herbs are being prepared. Peca’s dream is to make a new Noah’s boat at the top of Maljen where he would feed and preserve indigenous plants and animals.
He considers it not allowed for Swiss or Dutch cows to walk in the protected areas of Ribnica. Finally, there is the idea to renovate the house of Petar Citak from Music, the first judge of Karadjordje and Prota’s Serbia. An Environmental Court would be placed in it, which would prevent attacks on nature and make decisions on repairing already done damages. Because even environmental crimes are not getting old.
The Ribnica Monastery, along with the old school, was named a Monument of Culture of Great Importance. It is located in the canyon of Ribnica and is a few hundred meters away from the Museum of Stone. On the other side of the river, at the bottom of the impressive cliff is Ribnica or Šalitrena cave.
The monastery church is dedicated to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul. The earliest mention of this monastery dates back to 1657. During the Koca’s frontier, the church was burned down and rebuilt several times during the 19th century. Prince Jovica Milutinovic was responsible for the last restoration in 1823.
With the arrival of the monk Arsenije Jovanovic as an elder, in 2017, the Ribnica Monastery became an active male monastery again.